Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Akarnae by Lynette Noni || Review

Title: Akarnae
Author: Lynette Noni
Publisher: Pantera Press
Release Date: February 1st, 2015
Source:  Review Copy

With just one step, sixteen-year-old Alexandra Jenning's world changes - literally.

Dreading her first day at a new school, Alex is stunned when she walks through a doorway and finds herself stranded in Medora, a fantasy world full of impossibilities.

Desperate to return home, she learns that only a man named Professor Marselle can't help her... but he's missing.

While waiting for him to reappear, Alex attends Akarnae Academy, Medora's boarding school for teenagers with extraordinary gifts. She soon starts to enjoy her bizarre new world and the friends who embrace her as their own, but strange things are happening at Akarnae, and Alex can't ignore her fear that something unexpected... something sinister... is looming.

An unwilling pan in a deadly game, Alex's shoulders bear the crushing weight of an entire race's survival. Only she can save the Medorans, but what if doing so prevents her from ever returning home?

Will Alex risk her entire world - and maybe even risk her life - to save Medora?

I was asked to review this book with the premise that they knew "fantasy isn't everyone's preferred genre". And it definitely isn't mine. I'm much more of a contemporary/thriller type of girl, fantasy just isn't an area that I'm very often drawn towards. Which sucks because the blurbs always sound amazing and, seriously, have you seen the covers on some of these fantasy novels? They are made for my bookshelf. But there never seemed any point if I didn't actually like the story inside the cover, no matter how beautiful it may be.

There were definitely some parts of this book that I wasn't completely in like with. I found it occasionally difficult to differentiate between the characters, especially when the only infrequently made appearances in the story. However these characters turned out to be incredibly important to the story and I'm already highly anticipating the sequel.

There was no doubt in my mind that Alex was the hero of this story. Sometimes I feel like the protagonist can be overshadowed by the characters around them, but Alex really held her own in this story. I was completely cheering her on the entire time. I felt like she was such a real teenage girl, she was forced and she didn't act in ways that just seemed unbelievable. I was really impressed with the way she was written because I think it can often be poorly done.

I just really loved this book - so much more than I thought I would. I would honestly recommend it to almost anyone. Just make sure you have a lot of hours spare because you won't want to put it down.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.