Friday, May 1, 2015

Morgan Bain || Interview

You know how some people just get it? They might be young but they're doing what they want to do and they're totally killing it already.

Well, let me introduce you to twenty-year-old Morgan Bain. He's killing it in all the right ways. 

After taking home Song of the Year in the WAM contest, Bain is making waves and has some seriously exciting things coming for the rest of they year.

And because what's a new artist without a quick stop by at Love 'Em?! So don't be shy, say hey to Morgan.

It's seriously hard to believe by listening to your music that you're only twenty, how long have you been working on song writing?
I wrote my first song when I was 10 years old. It was about a homeless man that I saw one day and I had strong feelings about seeing him in that situation, but I wanted to know what other people thought so I wrote a tune about it. I've been writing ever since!

So for those who mightn't know, what is WAM? What does your win mean?
WAM stands for West Australian Music Industry and winning an award in their Song of the Year competition feels great because you're getting recognition from your peers in the Industry and it reassures you that you're on the track.

Now you're heading off on a national tour, what should we expect if we head along to a show?
The new single Why Don't You Stay is an alternative moody soul sound but generally it will be a pretty upbeat show with some fun jams in there too! I'll also be doing some tunes from my current EP What You Believe and also my previous EP.

Is there any show that you're particularly excited to be playing?
Hard to pick one. I'm excited for all of it really. I'm keen to play Adelaide because I've never been there and I'm interested to see how the shows in Melbourne go. I'm also looking forward to playing in Hobart with my band for the first time and Launceston too. Tassie is one of my favourite places!

How did you decide on Why Don't You Stay as your newest single?
I think Why Don't You Stay perfectly explains where I'm at in my journey of music, so to speak. It's different from what I've written before and I knew as soon as I'd written it that it would be the new single.


Can you share how this song came about - what's the story behind it?
It's a song I wrote about giving your everything to someone and the anxiety you experience because of that. You don't want those anxieties to get in the way or take over how you feel in your relationship, so you are constantly fighting for it...   

When did you realise that music was something you could do as a job?
I guess when I was about 15 and you have to focus on the whole career thing and I never thought of doing anything else but music. I tried to think of other things that might interest me but I just wasn't able to come up with anything. Hahaha

What happened from there? What've you been doing to get to where you are now?
[I've] just been working constantly writing songs, playing shows, recording and trying to get my music out to as many people as I can. I've entered song writing competitions along the way too, which has given me some success and I've been lucky enough to support some really amazing artists.

What's the rest of 2015 got in store for you?
The National Tour runs from April 17 to May 17 from Perth to Adelaide, Melbourne, Tasmania and then as soon as I get back I've got an overseas invitation to a huge Conference/Festival (that I can't announce yet) and then loads of WA shows, as well as more recording, etc. It's going to be a busy year! 
Buy What You Believe EP: iTunes || Visit Morgan's website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.