Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day In The Life: Gig Day // The Colour Code



Join The Colour Code guitarist Ryan on the day of their Yah Yah's show supporting The Caning.

The day of the gig. 
"My alarm goes off at the obnoxious time of 5.30am to start my Friday. Knowing we have a gig tonight I can't help despise my beloved wake up jam of Huey Lewis & The News 'Hip To Be Square' but then again I can't help but love it. The harsh reality of being a new band on the scene is you still need to pay the bills so a day of retail bliss awaits before I get to hit the stage with The Colour Code boys tonight. I have a long day of politely responding to rude jerks ahead as Christmas approaches and humans ironically become increasingly hostile and demanding in their rush to buy the right things to make them look like nice people.
I find solace under the heat of my shower and daydream of when our first track breaks through and we can tell our employers and customers alike to shove it. Then I realise I'm being fairly Grinchy and pessimistic about humanity and start to wrestle with whether to load my car now or after work. I bite the bullet and lug my amp to the car on my way out. It's vintage and sounds like God's farts, but the trade off is it weighs a metric ton so it is always a relief once it's in the car.

"Work is a blur as I slip into auto-pilot. The gig fades in and out of my thoughts but my only real awareness of it is the additional trips to the bathroom I take throughout the day. Whilst years of playing shows has steeled my conscious nerves apparently my bowel is still a nervous performer. I mentally rehearse from time to time, running parts of newer tracks through in my head while speculating as to how strong the crowd will be.

"I leave work with a sense of relief and head home to get ready, pleased with my efforts in the early hours of bumping my amp into the car, I know I can now kick back with a scotch for a bit before the show without the literal and figurative weight of that task hanging over me. Some pacing ensues and the usual messages between the boys about what time everyone is getting there and what they are wearing. It's lame but it's important because with our simple sensibilities there is every chance we could all show up in plain grey T-shirts, which would be a disaster aesthetically. I often think it would be much easier if we were a gimmick band and knew that our Power Ranger outfits were all we ever needed to don for a show.

"On route to the show I again speculate about the crowd. It's The Caning's album launch so I'm expecting it to be a killer night in the confines of Yah Yah's. We have a growing confidence in our tracks and our set, so our only hope at this point is that we get the opportunity to show that to some people. All the feedback we've had so far has been overwhelmingly positive, so taking the tracks to a larger audience is an exciting prospect.

"I arrive at the venue, and haul my gear inside. Having never played with any of the bands on tonight's bill I get busy with the other boys doing the meet and greet. As always the community of the Melbourne scene impresses me and everyone is pumped for a good night. As we watch the other acts and have a few more pre-gig scotches I am eager for our set time to arrive.

"The set begins and from the first few bars I know we are on. Dave is playing with more groove every gig and we are really starting to get a good feel for the tracks. The crowd responds well, although with the lights in your eyes sometimes you find yourself thinking mid-set, "is anyone even watching us?". The applause confirms it and the whole set feels great. The sound on stage is vibing, but once again you find yourself second guessing if the front of house mix is doing the song justice. Mike sings his arse off, Scotty rocks the bass like only Scotty can and I feel adequate. It's part of what goes with playing, you rarely feel anything but indifferent about your own performance. I felt like the other boys killed it and there are a lot of intra-band smiles and high-fives post set, so I wasn't alone.

"Just like that it is over. You get off in a hurry for The Caning to take the stage and nervously approach the bar to see what sort of a response you really got from the crowd. A few slaps on the back and 'great set' comments confirm the feeling amongst the band and you allow yourself a moment to be proud, knowing this was just one gig, in the hundreds more to come in order to get the tracks you have slaved over noticed."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.