Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Get to know: Shameem

Shameem is the spiritual, fruit-loving, soulful singer that my life has been missing, and I promise that you need this lady (or at least her music) in yours too!

This socially aware powerhouse is all set for the release of her second album, The Second City, and enjoying the drop of its first single, Under One Sun

She's the type of person who likes to share, so audiences for her upcoming national tour are in for a treat - the stories and inspirations behind the songs.

So I'm going to let her introduce herself, meet Shameem.

Hi, I'm Shameem Taheri-Lee, better known as Shameem.
 
 But you can call me Sham, because that's easier to pronounce properly. I know that "Shameem" looks easy to say, but it's not; people always get it wrong!

I'd describe myself as a passionate, spiritual, rather workaholic musician.

Currently I love summer: the sun, the heat, the frangipanis, the fruit! Mmm, mangoes...

I'm a musician because I'm crazy about making music. And I think that music is a powerful way to get a positive message out there to a lot of people.

The first thing I do in the morning is eat some fruit. Gotta start the day with fruit.

I'm most excited for  January 16 [2015] to roll around, as that's when I release my new album.

I can't wait to perform in cities all around Australia in February - we are doing a national tour to support the album release. Yay!

I'm most proud of my younger brother, who took time off his studies this year to do volunteer work in Broome. The world would be a better place if people would give priority to serving others, and not just getting ahead in the rat race.

I'm excited for this album because I've been working on it for a long time, and it's been finished for a while now, so I want to release it and get it out there already! It's definitely a more mature and well-developed sound than my previous recordings, so I'm really keen to see what people think of it.
 
I'm nervous that I need to sell a lot of tickets for my album launch in Perth. It's at a really fantastic, big venue. These are the little things you worry about when you're a self-managing musician.

Don't tell anyone but the first big concert I ever attended was 5ive - you remember, that British boy band? I was completely smitten with them when I was around 12-years-old and I still have two of their albums!

At school I was a floater who hung out with everybody: the geeks, the Asians, the white people, the musicians, the sporty people...everyone except the "cool" people; they didn't like me.

I couldn't live without my diary. I'm such a busy person, and my diary is like my lifeline.

I want to perform at Live Aid.

My biggest fan is a middle-aged man on Facebook. In fact, there are a few middle-aged men on Facebook who are super fans. They come to heaps of gigs, are always commenting on or sharing my online posts and are really supportive of my music! It might sound a bit strange - [a] young female artist with older male fans - but seriously they're all really lovely, nice people.

I want to sing for Sting. He is my song-writing idol; I simply LOVE his music.

My favourite song is changing all the time. I have a new favourite song at least once a week I think. Right now it's "Heaven" by Emeli Sande.

I love to watch Star Trek. Next Generation is my favourite series, followed by Voyager. I don't get much time to watch TV, so I rarely get to watch it, but I always hang out for it when it's on.


Right now I'm reading the Qur'an. I'm not a Muslim; I just want to know what it says for myself, instead of getting second-hand information from either a fanatic religionist or up-jumped layperson who has no idea what they're talking about.

When I'm not singing I'm on the computer, promoting my music like a good self-managed musician should do.

When I'm on my phone I'm playing solitaire to chill out and defrag my brain from all the things I have to think about all the time.

Something not many people know about me is that I am a primary carer for my mum, who is rather disabled having been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease 12 years ago.

I would tell my thirteen-year-old self that building a career in the music industry is going to take time, so be patient! And don't wait for anyone to anything for you: you have to do it all yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.